- What is FirstClass?
- Where do I go to download FirstClass Client?
- How do I get a FirstClass account for my class?
- I’ve downloaded and installed FirstClass and everything seems to have worked well. However, when I put in the user ID and password, I get a message that states: “Sorry there is no First Class server with that name on the network. Check your connection setup. .” What do I do?
- How do I find my class on First Class?
- How do I add a shortcut of my class onto my FirstClass desktop?
- I am receiving an error every time I attempt to enter my class! Please help!
- How do I send a message in FirstClass?
- How do I post a message to my class?
- How do I attach a file in First Class?
- I am experiencing a problem that is not listed above, what should I do?
1. What is FirstClass?
FirstClass is an intranet service for University students. FirstClass allows students to successfully complete many online courses by taking advantage of the program called FirstClass Client. First Class Client allows you to view online lectures, send email to the professor and other students, calendaring, and numerous other features.
2. Where do I go to download FirstClass Client?
You can go to either of two web addresses. Our primary download site is umaine.edu/IT. From there, click on “Download” and download the latest version of FirstClass Client for the operating system that you are running. If for any reason this address doesn’t work, please contact our CED Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free 1-877-947-HELP (4357).
3. How do I get a FirstClass account for my class?
If you do not already have a FirstClass account and your class requires you to have one, please go to http://www-dev.umaine.edu/firstclass to activate one. Once your account is active, you class folder will show up on your FirstClass desktop by the class start date.
4. I’ve downloaded and installed FirstClass and everything seems to have worked well. However, when I put in the user ID and password, I get a message that states: “Sorry there is no First Class server with that name on the network. Check your connection setup. .” What do I do?
First, make sure that you are connected to the internet. If this is not the case, on the login screen for FirstClass Client you will see a button on the upper right hand corner of the screen called “Setup” Press this once and you will have another window open up. Near the middle of that window is a place for you to enter in the “Sever:.” You will need to enter in “fc.umit.maine.edu” as the server. Finally, click save. You will now be able to login to your FirstClass account.
5. How do I find my class on First Class?
From your First Class desktop, open up “Academics” and then the semester that you are in, i.e. spring, fall, summer, etc. This will bring up a list and by clicking the bar at the top that says Name you can put them in alphabetical order. Some of the class conferences are private, in this case you will need to contact your instructor to gain access.
6. How do I add a shortcut of my class onto my FirstClass desktop?
First find the course you are referring to (see above). Next, right click on the icon and choose “Add to desktop.” If you go back to your FirstClass desktop, you will now see your class icon there.
7. I am receiving an error every time I attempt to enter my class! Please help!
If you are receiving “Authorization Failed” or “Sorry, you are not permitted to perform that function,” that means you do not have access to the course conference. If you are supposed to have access, contact your professor and inform them of the problem. With their permission, we will add you to the list.
8. How do I send a message in FirstClass?
To send a message, click on message at the top of your FirstClass Client window and select “new message.” A blank message form will then appear where you add a subject line as well as the person you want to send it to. After you fill in the “To:” field, you will need to press the “enter” or “return” button. Next, type your message, click on “message” again and this time select “send.” If the “send” feature is grayed out, you did not finish typing in the “To:” field and will need to finish and press enter.
9. How do I post a message to my class?
First, log into FirstClass Client and then open up your class folder. Next, open up the folder that you want to sent your message to, i.e. “discussion”, “drop box”, etc. At the top of the folder you want to send a message to, you will see a few options. Click on “message” and then “New Message”. The “To:” field of the new message should automatically enter in the conference that you want to send to. If it does not, type it in and press enter.
To attach a document to an email, do the following:
- 1) Open up an email as if you were going to send it to the desired conference.
- 2) Click on “File” at the top of your new message window and then click on “Attach…”
You will see a screen similar to this:
- 3) Click on the downward arrow and select the folder where you stored your file. In this case it would be under “My documents”.
- 4) Click on the file you would like to attach and then press the “Open” button.
- 5) Your file should now be uploading and should be completed shortly depending on your connection speed and the size of the file.
11. I am experiencing a problem that is not listed above, what should I do?
If you are experiencing a problem that is not listed above, or your professor is unavailable to help you, contact the CED Support Center at 1-877-947-HELP or via email at email@example.com. Please remember that you must supply the CED Support Center with the following information in order for them to assist you as efficiently as possible:
- Your first and last name
- Your Mainestreet ID number
- Your professors name
- The title of your course (and course ID) that you are trying to access
- The exact error message that you are receiving, and what you were trying to do when you received the message.