Yuka’s Story

photo of Yuka Takemon“Working as a full-time research assistant at the Jackson Laboratory I was exposed to many fields and techniques that were applied at the forefront of biomedical research. I was able to see firsthand how bioinformatics was quickly becoming a critical component in understanding complex genetic diseases. I realized that pursuing a PSM in Bioinformatics through GSBSE while continuing my full-time job would allow me to contribute at a higher level at work and open more doors for my career. Since I live far enough from the Orono campus to make commuting difficult, having the option to attend live courses remotely, watch recordings, or even attend live courses taught by faculty at the Jackson Laboratory was one of the deciding factors in pursuing this degree. One of the great things about the GSBSE courses is that faculty from partner institutions such as MMCRI, MDIBL, and JAX who are involved with cutting-edge research are teaching the classes. Course materials are always relevant and up-to-date, and the professors are always receptive to questions. Both GSBSE Director, Dr. David Neivandt, and Special Assistant, Tammy Crosby, have been very accommodating, and have personally met with me to help me design a curriculum that fits my needs and goals. Since starting the PSM in Bioinformatics, I’ve been able to immediately apply what I’ve learned in the classroom to my work. I’ve become a critical member of the lab with my bioinformatics knowledge and skill sets, and have also seen many opportunities open up before me at work. I would definitely recommend this program to those currently involved in research that want to develop bioinformatics skills to get a leg up in their career.”

– Yuka Takemon