Beth’s Story

Photo of Beth Kilgore“As a full-time teacher, the online program through the University of Maine system enables me the take graduate classes and work steadily towards an Education Specialist degree in Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction. Since I already have a Master’s in Teaching, this Ed.S. program was a good option for me. After teaching for 16 years, I was ready to re-examine some of the foundational pieces of education as well as explore some of the current changes in curriculum, assessment, and instruction. I am almost a third of the way through the program and find that I am constantly reflecting on my current practices and thinking about new ways of teaching. The online element of the program works very well with my schedule and I appreciate the flexibility it gives me to also fulfill my other obligations to work and family. I was initially hesitant to commit to an online program because I thought I would really miss the personal interactions of a physical classroom. However, through the discussion boards and video conferencing platforms, it doesn’t take long before you feel like you are in a traditional classroom. I would encourage anyone thinking about taking classes to consider this degree or one of the other programs offered through the University of Maine. The faculty and support staff at UMaine have been helpful every step of the way.”

– Beth Kilgore