Jessica’s Story

Photo of Jessica Green“I teach special education students at the middle school level and chose to get my Master’s in High Incidence Disabilities because it would give me the skills I needed to teach my students more effectively and also prepare me for a career in special education administration. The online platform was perfect for my lifestyle because I have a young family, teach full-time, and live in a rural area that is located at least an hour from any of the University of Maine campuses. I did homework at night and on weekends and could access my classes when it worked for my schedule without worrying about commuting, especially in winter weather. I found the classes to be engaging and applicable, providing me with the knowledge and strategies I could use immediately with my students. The professors are supportive and knowledgeable and they created assignments that asked us to learn and utilize skills that benefited us as professionals. Since completing my courses, I have asked my former professors for advice on situations I was facing and they have always provided prompt support. Earning my Master’s degree from the University of Maine has made me a better educator and given me the skills to further my career in special education.”

– Jessica Green