Online Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S.)
Online Bachelor of University Studies
UMaine is ranked #88 in Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report.
Work. Travel. Family. Life is busy. Don’t let that stop you from completing your degree. The Bachelor of University Studies makes the most of your existing college credit to help you earn your degree faster and more cost-effectively. The program is designed to be flexible and easily integrated into your life by offering part-time study 100% online.
Here, your needs come first. UMaine provides a unique self-directed approach giving you the ability to choose an academic path that matches your interests and professional goals. Our team is here every step of the way to help you finish what you started.
Visit the Bachelor of University Studies website to learn more about this exciting program!
Students’ Experience Earning Their BUS Online
The B.U.S. program allows students to develop a program of study that encompasses their interests and makes maximum use of their existing transfer credits.
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 credits originating from the University of Maine with at least 15 of those credits at the 300 level or higher.
- A UMaine cumulative GPA of a “C” (2.0) or better is required for graduation.
In addition to the general education requirements, the following courses are required (7 credits):
- UST 100: Introduction to the Bachelor of University Studies (1 credit)
Offered in an online format in a six-week sequence
- UST 300: Core Course in University Studies (3 credits)
Meets upper-level Writing Intensive requirement
- UST 499: Senior Capstone (3 credits)
Meets General Education Capstone requirement
Fresh Start Policy
Students requesting readmission after an absence of five or more years may be treated as external transfers in the determination of credits and grade point average. Credit is allowed for all University of Maine courses passed at the level of C- or higher. All grades remain on the academic transcript but are removed from the calculation of the accumulative grade point average. To be eligible for Fresh Start, students must have a minimum of 30 credits remaining toward degree completion and must complete those 30 credits in residence at the University of Maine. Students receiving a Fresh Start are ineligible for Valedictorian or Salutatorian awards.
For more information, contact the Associate Dean or Director of the School or College you are readmitting. Fresh Start may impact a student’s eligibility for financial aid due to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. More information is available at http://umaine.edu/stuaid/policies/sap/.
- High School diploma or equivalent (e.g., GED)
- 18 credits of college-level courses from an accredited college or university*
- An undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of “C” (2.0) or higher
- Completed application
- Official academic transcripts from all institutions attended
- An interview with a B.U.S. advisor to discuss your goals and objectives
*Please contact a B.U.S. advisor to discuss the transferability of credits not earned at the University of Maine.
Have questions about earning your B.U.S. online with UMaine? Contact Tiffany Peterson, Undergraduate Online Retention and Advising Coordinator, at 207.581.3151 or at email@example.com.
Many students build their programs of study around their intended career, thus extending and creating skill sets that are useful in employment.
To learn more about how UMaine helps students start or advance their careers at the Career Center.