|Format||Credit Hours||Tuition||Application Deadline||Test Requirements|
|100% Online (Synchronous)||12 credits||$461/cr. in-state and $576/cr. out-of-state*||Fall 2020 and Summer 2022||None|
*This special e-tuition rate applies to out-of-state students enrolled in a UMaineOnline degree or certificate program.
Graduate Certificate in Try on Leadership
The online Graduate Certificate in Try on Leadership is specifically designed for educators who want to take the next step in their profession and see if leadership is a good fit for them. Students will be mentored while developing their leadership skills through real-world applications in order to:
- Understand the current issues and challenges of the principalship
- Apply best practices in leadership around organizational analysis
- Promote best instructional leadership practices
- Interpret and analyze school and special education law and regulations
- Develop strong interpersonal skills needed to lead as an administrator
The certificate also provides an easy way to begin coursework towards an M.Ed. in Educational Leadership while awaiting the next cohort to begin. Currently, new cohorts begin in the fall of odd years.
Students learn about high-quality instructional practices, organizational analysis, time management, and school and special education law, enabling them to better serve their school district. Throughout their coursework, students will work closely with their instructor and school district to better understand what it’s like to serve as an administrator.
The following courses are required (12 credits):
- EAD 615: The Principalship (3 credits) (Fall 2020)
- EAD 651: Organizational Analysis (3 credits) (Spring 2021)
- EAD 531: School Law for Administrators (3 credits) (Fall 2020 and Summer 2021)
- SED 520: Law and Policy Affecting individuals with Disabilities (3 credits) (Summer 2021)
These 12 credits can be applied as electives to the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership allowing students to complete the M.Ed. in 28 credits. However, completion of this certificate does not guarantee acceptance into an M.Ed. program.
Students will receive personal instruction from a faculty comprised of research-active instructors who bridge the theory-practice gap that often occurs in education. Their passion and expertise will help you grow as a professional educator and life-long learner.
The application process is simple and easy and an advisor can answer all your questions about program requirements and the admissions process.
- One year of professional experience in K-12 education
When you are ready to apply, please first review these application instructions. Then submit the following:
- Online application
- Official transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from a direct supervisor
After successful completion of the graduate certificate, students are eligible to apply for a conditional Assistant Building Administrator (045) certification with the Maine Department of Education (DOE).
Have questions about earning your Graduate Certificate in Try on Leadership online with UMaine? Contact Amanda Cupps, UMaineOnline Advisor, at 207.581.5858 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.