|Format||Credit Hours||Tuition||Application Deadline||Test Requirements|
|100% Online||12 credits||$461/cr. in-state and $576/cr. out-of-state*||Rolling Admissions||None|
*This special e-tuition rate applies to out-of-state students enrolled in a UMaineOnline degree or certificate program.
Graduate Certificate in Surveying Engineering
Changing technologies in the surveying engineering world require working professionals to return to an academic world to expand their knowledge. Professional Land Surveyors with a B.S. degree in surveying or related field will expand on their undergraduate knowledge. Similarly, professional land surveyors with a non-surveying undergraduate degree will be able to capture knowledge in their chosen second career.
- Expand your undergraduate knowledge for better work experience
- Expand your firm’s knowledge base into new technologies
- Expand your knowledge for new work opportunities
- Better prepare yourself for professional licensure examinations
- Grow mathematical foundations not taught in undergraduate curriculums
- Prepare for a leadership role in solving complicated boundary issues
PSM in Engineering and Business
Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Surveying Engineering, a student may apply for admission to the PSM in Engineering and Business program with a concentration in Surveying Engineering. The twelve credits received in the certificate will count as the twelve surveying courses required in the PSM.
The Graduate Certificate in Surveying Engineering requires completion of a minimum of twelve credits of coursework. The twelve credits of coursework must include four classes selected from this list of graduate courses:
- SVT 501: Advanced Adjustment Computations (3 credits) (offered fall)
- SIE 509: Principles of Geographic Information Systems (3 credits) (offered fall)
- SVT 511: Geodetic United States Public Land Survey System (3 credits) (offered fall)
- SVT 512: Advanced Survey Law (3 credits) (offered spring)
- SVT 531: Advanced Digital Photogrammetry (3 credits) (offered spring)
- SVT 532: Survey Strategies in Use of Lidar (3 credits) (offered spring)
- SVT 541: Geodesy (3 credits) (offered spring)
Only courses in which the student obtained a grade of B or higher count towards the completion of the Surveying Engineering Graduate Certificate.
Carlton Brown, Ph.D., PE, PLS
Associate Professor: Cadastral Surveys and Land Tenure
University of Maine 2008
Knud Hermansen, Ph.D., JD, PE, PLS
Professor: Boundary Law and Construction Surveying
West Virginia University 1989
Raymond Hintz, Ph.D., PLS
Professor and Graduate Coordinator: Adjustment Computations and Photogrammetry
University of Wisconsin 1983
Have questions about earning your Graduate Certificate in Surveying Engineering online with UMaine? Contact Dagmar Moravec, Director of Online Student Services, at 207.581.5858 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Surveying Engineering specific questions, contact Ray Hintz, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Graduates have got on to work for places like the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and state-level Department of Transportations The largest career path has been in the private sector. Graduates have worked for both small and large surveying/photogrammetry/engineering firms. Upon professional licensure, many graduates have become successful owners of their own companies.
2018 alumni, Steve Hyde, earned his certificate as part of the PSM in Engineering and Business program and is now the Chair of the Board of Professional Surveyors and Mappers in Florida.
Students can apply to transfer up to 3 credits of graduate coursework into the Surveying Engineering Graduate Certificate. The Surveying Engineering Certificate Coordinator must approve such transfer credits after assessing whether they are appropriate or not.
Students to be admitted into the Surveying Engineering Graduate Certificate must hold an undergraduate degree and have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Candidates must submit a transcript of their undergraduate degree, essay, and one reference letter.