Liz’s Story

Photo pf Elizabeth Theriault“I started my freshman year working towards a Journalism major and Political Science minor. However, after taking a few classes and engaging with the Political Science faculty and program, I changed to a double degree in both Journalism and Poli Sci.

Attempting to obtain two separate degrees means I have a busy schedule. Each semester is jammed packed with credits, on top of my part time jobs and extracurricular endeavors. Because of this, room for flexibility is extremely limited— but the option to take online classes allows me to fit everything I need into a semester. Online classes free up my time during the day to finish homework, write for my job, and take other classes that are less flexible.

As I am wrapping up my junior year, my time in the political science department has shaped my personal and career aspirations. The support and opportunities I have received from the faculty and staff has encouraged me to weave politics into my career. The faculty here have taken time whenever I have asked to sit and meet with me to answer my questions and talk about my future goals. Moving forward, I feel that I am prepared to take on a role in a government or advocacy organization— writing stories on how government decisions are impacting and shaping our communities.”

– Liz Theriault