Allison’s Story

Photo of Allison Fluet“Before pursuing my Master’s degree in Instructional Technology, I had begun to dabble in ways to integrate technology into my curriculum. At first, I was using technology in very basic ways but as my comfort increased it became apparent that the possibilities were limitless. I could leverage technology in ways I hadn’t even realized. In essence, technology became my “passion project”. I wanted to learn as much as I could about how to meaningfully integrate it into my classroom. I knew I needed to challenge myself so at 51 years old, I applied to the Instructional Technology graduate program through the University of Maine. I knew the only way I was really going to make technology an integral part of my teaching was to immerse myself in the expectation that I would continue to learn and grow in this area. When I realized the program was 100% online I knew I would be able to do it. Having the flexibility to complete work on my own schedule was a convincing factor. I also really loved that the work I would be doing in my courses would be immediately relevant to my students and my teaching. Knowing I would be doing this work with other educators with similar interests and motivations was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. The experience has surpassed my expectations. I have had experiences I never would have had if I had not taken this leap. I’ve developed relationships with many of my professors who have been supportive and have challenged me to push out of my comfort zone. I’ve fostered relationships with other educators in other schools who I can count on to bring ideas around with me. I’ve had the opportunity to attend and present at the Summer Technology Institute. It has been a rewarding experience that has made me a better educator.”

– Allison Fluet